Monday, August 13, 2012

Five Must Haves for your Sewing Box


Before you start sewing, there are a couple of things you will need besides a needle and thread. Instead of doing a really basic list, I have decided to put together a list of things that are a little unconventional. The five things on this list you may have either forgotten to buy or not realize how important it is.


  1. Fabric Scissors: For the longest time I used regular cutting scissors to cut fabric. It wasn't until last weekend that I brought a pair. Now I realize how important they are. Compared to using regular scissors they don't cause your fabric to fray as must, which can be very stressful (take it for someone who knows.) I would suggest spreading the extra money to buy a really good pair. Fortunately I found mine at a dollar store for only $1.50. 
  2. Fabric Markers or Chalk: You can buy any type of marking tool.
  3. Seam Ripper: Before I had a seam ripper I used scissors to rip out seams, which was a bad idea sine it often ripped the fabric. Using a seam ripper is a lot easier and safer. Especially being a beginner sewer, since you will probably to taking out a lot of bad seams.
  4. Sewing Pins: The great thing about pins is the fact that you can great a lot for so little. 
  5. Measuring Tape: Very, Very, Very important if you want to make your own garments that will fit you in the end. I would suggest buying one that is a least 60 inches. However since my measuring tape is only 24 inches (61 cm) I often use a shoe lace, and then I measure that will a meter stick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...